Congratulations, Fall Gator graduates!
To help you prepare for this special weekend, please read this page of important information, links, and deadlines.
- Cap & Gown
Students must wear regalia (cap and gown) in order to participate in commencement.
For details about regalia, including orders, pickup, and more, contact the bookstore directly
- Email: Capemail@example.com
- Phone: (352) 392-0194
- Website: https://businessservices.ufl.edu/services/uf-bookstore/graduation/
Please note, the commencement office cannot assist with regalia orders. Orders MUST go through the UF bookstore.
- Application for Graduation
Students graduating this semester must apply to graduate. The deadlines for applications for the Fall of 2021 semester can be found in the catalog of the Registrar’s Office https://catalog.ufl.edu/UGRD/dates-deadlines/2021-2022/#fall21text
The application for graduation can be found in a student’s OneUF. https://registrar.ufl.edu/services/degreeapp
In the application, there is a box that asks the degree applicant whether UF has permission to print their name in the commencement program. If the box is not marked, "yes" by the applicant, we cannot print the name of the applicant in the commencement program.
Please note: due to printing deadlines, we gather names for the commencement program a week after the degree application deadline. This is also when the honors status of degree candidates (cum laude, etc.) are collected. If a graduating student does not apply for graduation on time, or if their honors status changes during the second part of the semester, they may not be accurately reflected in the program.
- Commencement Instructions
90 MINUTES BEFORE THE POSTED CEREMONY TIME - Arrive at Gate 4 of the O’Connell Center
- Check in at the gate wearing your cap and gown and carrying your name card (you get your name card when you pick up your regalia from the bookstore).
- Doctoral degree candidates carry their hoods on their right arm, thin side on the outside of the arm, wide side close to the body. Tassels are worn on the left.
- Master’s & Specialist's degree candidates should wear their hoods. Tassels are worn on the left, you don’t move your tassel during the ceremony, only undergraduates do that.
- Bachelor’s degree candidates should wear their tassels on the right.
- Families can begin entering the arena 90 minutes before the ceremony, they should enter through Gates 1 and 3.
30 MINUTES BEFORE THE POSTED CEREMONY TIME - Candidate processional line will start to move
- College by college, you’ll be moved out of your line-up rooms and start to enter the arena floor to be seated. All seating will be completed 5 minutes prior to the posted ceremony time.
NOTE: If your college processes and you are not in line, you will not process with your college and will not be seated with your college.
There will be no seat-saving permitted by candidates during the processional and seating.
5 MINUTES BEFORE THE POSTED CEREMONY TIME - Platform processional line
- Those who will be on the stage will enter the arena, including President Fuchs, deans of the colleges, members of the Board of Trustees and others.
NOTE: It is appropriate for candidates and guests to stand at this time.
POSTED CEREMONY TIME
Ceremony will officially start on the stage at the posted ceremony time, beginning with the National Anthem.
2 HOURS AFTER THE CEREMONY BEGINS
No ceremony will last longer than two hours past the posted stage start time.
Names are meant to be heard. Out of respect for your fellow candidates, please stay until the last name has been called.
Doctoral Candidates: Following the platform recessional, there will be a formal recessional led by the faculty marshals who led you in.
Master’s, Specialist's and Bachelor’s Candidates: Following the platform recessional, you will exit the arena through the gates you entered. There is no formal recessional.
HINT: Due to large crowds leaving the O'Connell Center at once, plan to give yourselves plenty of time and establish a meeting point. Choose less-common locations to meet your party. The Bull Gator or Heisman Trophy statues are where most people choose to meet.
- Diploma Information
Diplomas are ordered for all graduates by the Office of the University Registrar at the end of the semester after grades have been posted. It takes approximately 8 weeks for students to receive their diplomas after the close of the semester.
Diplomas are mailed to the graduate's DIPLOMA MAILING ADDRESS as it appears in their ONE.UF at the end of the semester. Students are responsible for correcting or updating their address as necessary.
More information about diplomas, paper and electronic, can be found on the Registrar's Office Diploma page.
- Name Cards
One of the biggest highlights of the ceremony is being recognized by the platform party as your name is read aloud. The Name Card provides your name information for individual recognition.
You will receive your name card from the bookstore when you pick up your regalia. Please complete the front and back of the card before arriving at your ceremony and bring it with you when it is time for your individual recognition.
- Printed Programs
Graduates will receive two copies of the printed university commencement program when they pick up their regalia from the UF bookstore beginning December 14. These keepsake programs have the names of all students graduating this semester.
(please note this may not be a fully exhaustive list, as it reflects applications submitted on time; academic honors designations are also determined at this time and may fluctuate through the course of the semester)
Additional copies will be available for purchase at the bookstore for $1; proceeds go to a scholarship fund for future first generation college students from low-income families.
Approximately two weeks before graduation weekend, the full PDF of the program will be available online at https://commencement.ufl.edu/past-programs/. This version can be viewed and/or downloaded at any time after it appears.
- VISA for International Guests
If you are an international student who may need assistance with the proper documents for family or friends to attend your ceremony, you should contact UF’s International Center for assistance.
- Forms page: https://internationalcenter.ufl.edu/forms-resources
- Location: 1765 Stadium Road, Suite 170 Hub Gainesville, FL 32611
- Phone: (352) 392-5323